“This workshop, presented in a likely, often humorous way, brings ego state theory to life for those who work with couples. Barry’s is one of a handful of essential voices out there for describing the power and importance of EMDR and ego state therapy.” Carol Forgash, LCSW
The Marriage of EMDR and Ego State Theory in Couples Therapy
Presented by: Barry Litt, MFT
November 18-19, 2016 | Phoenix, AZ
This workshop will focus on the treatment of challenging couples who often present with poor interpersonal boundaries, mutual and sometimes hostile dependency, and reliance on blame and projection. Ego state conflict is common in one or both partners. Such conflict can dominate relational patterns even in clients without a trauma history. By augmenting EMDR with the explanatory power and clinical inventiveness of ego state theory, couples therapy can be brought to new levels of efficacy.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Barry Litt is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist practicing in Concord, New Hampshire. He was trained in contextual therapy with Ivan Boszormenyi-Nagy. He has since integrated that model with EMDR and has been practicing in that framework since the 1990’s. He is an EMDR-Approved Consultant and AAMFT-approved supervisor. He is a regular presenter at ISST-D and EMDR conferences, and has authored chapters on Contextual Therapy and EMDR as well as Ego State Theory in Couples Therapy. His professional activities have included in-home therapy, consultation and training for Headstart, and investigating misconduct complaints for the NH Board of Examiners. He has taught at 2 graduate schools, and presented workshops internationally.
“Barry Litt is a thoughtful, innovative, a funny (enthusiastic, spirited, energetic) teacher and clinician who brings the dynamics and challenges of couples therapy to life for his workshop participants. He is solidly grounded in theory, yet very precise and practical in helping practitioners navigate the rocky waters of couples therapy. He skillfully integrates the concepts of ego state therapy with a sophisticated understanding of the EMDR Adaptive Information Processing Model.” Deborah Korn, PhD
14 CE Credits with EMDR Institute | 14 Credits Approved through EMDRIA
Attendance at the entire 2-day training is required for any CE credits or any credits given.
- APA: EMDR Institute, Inc. is approved by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. EMDR Institute, Inc maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
- NBCC: EMDR Institute and Tetreault Advanced Seminars are cosponsors of this program. This co-sponsorship has been approved by NBCC. EMDR Institute is an NBCC Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 5558. EMDR Institute solely is responsible for this program, including the awarding of NBCC credit.
- RN: EMDR Institute, Inc is a provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 9755for 14 contact hours.
- SW: EMDR Institute, provider #1206, is approved for SW continuing education by the Assoc of SW Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. EMDR Institute maintains responsibility for the program. 14 ce clock hours.
- BBS: For California, this course meets the qualifications for 14 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs & LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Approval Number: PCE 270.
Our number coded map to the right is provided to help you make lodging and dining decisions easy during the event. We have also put together an interactive GOOGLE map that provides addresses, phone numbers, reviews and directions. To review, simply click the "Go to Interactive Map" button above.
1. First Watch Restaurant (602) 943-3232 (Breakfast, Lunch - Sandwiches, Salads)
2. Outback Steakhouse (602)943-2226 (Dinner)
3. Sweet Tomatoes (602)749- 9016 (Lunch - Salads, Soups etc. Buffet Style)
4. Courtyard by Marriott - (Microwave) Within walking distance of Ottawa University.
5. Towne Place Suites* - (Full Kitchen )Short walk from rear entrance to the back of Ottawa University.
6. Homewood Suites by Hilton - (Full Kitchen) Short drive from Ottawa University. 1 mile walk. Rate of $149 if booked prior to 2/8/20161 mile walk
7. Springhill Suites* - (Kitchenette ) Short walk through Towne Place Suites parking lot to the back of Ottawa University.
* Please note that these properties are located at the same address.
8. Ottawa University
Room 201 is upstairs in the back of the building. The rear entrance in is most convenient and has plenty of parking.
Super Shuttle - (800) BLUE VAN (258-3826)